Windham Hill Records
Various Artists - Windham Hill Guitar Sampler
"Windham Hill's Guitar Sampler culls highlights from their vast catalog of contemporary instrumental guitarists..."
- Rodney Batdorf (All Music Guide)
An out-of-print compilation is brought back in circulation featuring some of our time's most accomplished instrumental guitarists including:
- Eric Tingstad, is a Grammy Award winning guitarist whose album "The Gift" is one of the biggest selling Christmas Records of all time. His album with Nancy Rumbel was the Acoustic Instrumental Album of the Year in NAV and was #1 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart.
- John Doan is one of very few harp guitarists (20 strings!) who has had several best selling albums on Hearts of Space Records as well as Windham Hill Records. He has performed and/or recorded with Mason Williams, Donovan, Larry Carlton, Ricki Lee Jones and the New Christy Minstrels. He is regularly featured on PBS and network television.
- Bill Mize is a Grammy winning guitarist (for Stellaluna with David Holt) who performs regularly. His music is regularly heard in television specials and in the fall of 2009 will be featured in Ken Burns' documentary "Our National Parks, America's Best Idea" on PBS.
- Danny Heines is an expert as fingerstyle guitarist and is an expert in the technique of tapping (percussion playing) on acoustic guitar. He is also one of the few westerners who can throat sing - wherein the overtones of the voice are manipulated to create melodies while holding a single pitch. His solo cds have ranked #1 on the radio show Echoes.
- Andrew York is a Grammy Award winner (for "Guitar Hero" with LAGQ) whose compositions have been recorded by John Williams. He was a member of the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet as well as an accomplished jazz guitar player.
- Peter Maunu is best known as part of Group 87 with Mark Isham and Patrick O'Hearn. He has also played with the Pointer Sisters, Commodores, and Bobby McFerrin.
- Bruce Becvar has released 13 albums, the best known being his "Magic of Healing Music" series with Deepak Chopra which has sold over one half million copies.
- David Cullen, Grammy Award winner for Best Pop Instrumental Recording, has released 9 albums spanning the genres of Americana, baroque, jazz, world music and classical.
- Also James Gordon, Chris Proctor and Edward Gerhard!
1. "On the Way" – David Cullen
2. "Sun & Water" – Danny Heines
3. "Night Crossing" – John Doan
4. "No City Lights" – James Gordon
5. "The Emperor’s Choice" – Chris Proctor
6. "The Handing Down" – Edward Gerhard
7. "Blue Ridge" – Bruce BecVar
8. "The Silverplume Waltz" – Bill Mize
9. "Andecy" – Andrew York
10. "Cheyenne" – Peter Maunu
11. "Prelude from Bridal Street" – Eric Tingstad