Hearts of Space: Universe 2
Universe 92 brings together the highlights of our last two years - top picks from recent titles by GILES REAVES, PAUL AVERGINOS, TIM STORY, MYCHAEL DANNA, ROBERT RICH, BILL DOUGLAS, RAPHAEL and BRUCE STARK, plus selections from new releases by Gino D'Auri and JOHN BOSWELL.
Availability: In stock.
1. "Evolutions/Twilght" (9:47 medley) from Sea Of Glass by GILES REAVES [HS 11030]
The ex-MCA Master Series artist reappears after a three year hiatus with his strongest album to date. These two pieces showcase his love of complex rhythms, finely hewn electronic voicings and an instinctive feel for evocative ambiance.
2. "Sagrada Familia" (4:20) from Gaudi by Robert Rich [HS 11028]
A shadowed processional continues the ambient soundspace with rare and subtle harmonies in Just Intonation, from Rich's tribute to the amazing cathedral in Barcelona designed by late 19th / early 20th century Catalonian architect Antonio Gaudi.
3. "Tracery" (4:36) from Gaudi by Robert Rich [HS 11028]
the flowing mode of rich's music employs gently buoyant conterpoint and third world polyrhythms, also with natural harmonies in Just Intonation.
4. "Songs Of The Harper" (5:21) from Muse Of The Round Sky by PAUL AVGERINOS [HS 11029]
Space and film music composer Avgerinos crafts a rich harmonic ambience on keyboards and bass; a deepening drama unfolds with a haunting oud solo by Ara Dinkjian.
5. "Deidre Of The Sorrows" (4:54) from Sirens by Mychael Danna [HS 11026]
A gloriously sad and beautiful Celtic ballad in 3/4 with Toronto film and spacemusic composer danna's keyboards and a spine-tingling chorus of Uillean pipes.
6. "Leap" (3:30) from Cantilena by Bill Douglas [HS 11021]
A joyous Celtic dance with the Boulder, Colorado composer/performer's signature melodic keyboards and hand percussion by Geoff Johns.
7. "Gliding Song" (3:30) from Song Of Hope by BRUCE STARK [HS 11025]
A Juilliard-trained composer now living in Tokyo, Stark makes sublimely intelligent music without sacrificing accessibility or popular appeal. This piece really does glide, with cascading polyrhythms in 5 and 7.
8. "And Evening Falls" (2:25) from Beguiled by Tim Story [HS 11027]
Ohio's heir to the aesthetic strategies of Eric Satie, composer and keyboard artist Story has numerous releases in Europe and two in the U.S. on Windham Hill. This is one of his brief, yet gently epic soundscapes.
9. "Her Cathedral" (5:06) from Beguiled by Tim Story [HS 11027]
A poignant theme for piano backed by ghostly curtains of synth waves leaves you ambiguously suspended in Story's deeply felt modern chamber music.
10. "Earth Prayer" (4:59) from Cantilena by Bill Douglas [HS 11021]
A measured pace and hymn-like atmosphere created by Douglas' keyboards provide the setting for beautiful solos on cello by David Lockington and clarinet by Bil Jackson.
11. "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" (5:47) from Flamenco Mystico by Gino D'Auri [WC 11300]
From our new World Class label, this piece is a departure on the album though in the context of this compilation, it fits right in. This is L.A.-based flamenco master D'Auri's unorthodox, inverted version of Francisco Tarrega's classical guitar favorite, with lush orchestrations by keyboardist Teja Bell.
12. "Surrender" (9:00) from Music To Disappear In by Raphael [HS 11023]
A dreamy, romantic Scheherezade-like ambiance created with Western classical, Indian and other multi-cultural elements by Hawai'i-based keyboard artist Raphael.
13. "Eastern Star" (4:50) from Festival Of The Heart by John Boswell
This serenely beautiful song is one of two Boswell originals on an album of traditional Christmas favorites. The Spotlight is on the New York composer/performer's radiantly emotional piano playing with orchestration and supporting keyboards by producer Brian Keane.
14. "Waltz" (3:30) from Song Of Hope by Bruce Stark [HS 11025]
A coda for Universe 92, as performed on the 9' concert grand. Stark describes the piece as "a midnight waltz - shadowed, solitary and nostalgic."